A LITTLE PLAY ON WORDS
We need divine guidance to make wise decisions in life. We learned in last week’s lesson that God’s ways and methods are higher than our way of thinking; that Jesus is rich in power and wisdom; and that the Holy Spirit gives us spiritual discernment. What more could we want? So much is available to us as believers, but we have to inquire…”what would You have me to do in this situation, Lord.”
The following Bible stories give us an interesting play on some words that I don’t want us to miss. Hang in there as we do a little digging this week.
Read Genesis 38:27-30 (it’s a good idea to read the entire chapter of Genesis 38 for more background information in this intriguing Bible story).
1. What is interesting about the birth of the twins born to Tamar? What did the firstborn’s name mean? (check your Bible notes if you don’t see it in the verses).
Read 2 Samuel 5:18-20
2. How did David “inquire of the Lord” in this passage? There are two questions he asks of the Lord.
3. How did the Lord answer him? Was David victorious?
4. What was the name of the place where David defeated the Philistines?
5. What is the meaning of the name where victory came because David inquired of the Lord? How similar is the meaning of the twin’s name and the place where David defeated the Philistines? We will continue our study of this root word next week.
What do these passages say to you personally today? Remember, we can have the mind of Christ…and have victory “break forth” in our lives if we also inquire of the Lord.